The Cathedral of Lausanne
As the spiritual capital of French-speaking Switzerland, the Cathedral of Lausanne is of interest to people from all parts of the world. The building itself was constructed in several stages. In 1170 the ambulatory was built, using Roman masonry methods. The construction of the existing church building took place twenty years later, and lasted until 1215.
Finally, a third builder took over – Jean Cotereel – who built the western section, including a porch and two towers, one of which supports the belfry. The other was never completed.
It was only in 1275 that the cathedral was finally consecrated by Emperor Rudoph of Habsburg and Pope Gregory X.
At the time of the Reformation the Cathedral underwent large-scale changes. In 1536 a new liturgical area was created in the nave. There were numerous restorations after that, in the 18th and 19th centuries, notably under the direction of the great French architect Eugène-Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc.
The interior of the Cathedral is one of the most important examples of polychromy. Although the colourful decorations go back to the first phase of construction, they were covered over during the Reformation, and then restored at the beginning of the 20th century.
Some medieval paintwork is still visible in the Chapel of the Virgin, and also on the statues in the Painted Portal (south portal). The latter is the original structure built between 1225 and 1235. Its restoration was completed in October 2007.
The new organs installed in 2003 are the only ones of their kind in the world, as much for their construction (they were designed by the Italian designer, Giugiaro, and built by the American manufacturer, Fisk) as for their musical characteristics (classical and French symphonic, baroque and romantic German) and by their dimensions (nearly 7,000 pipes, a weight of 40 tonnes, and 150,000 hours of work to create them). Concerts are held there regularly.
Tel. +41 21 316 71 61
Horaire d'ouverture de la Cathédrale
Septembre-mars: Fermé à 17h30
25 décembre, 1er et 2 janvier: Fermé
Horaire d'ouverture du bureau d'accueil
09h30-13h00 / 14h00-17h00 tous les jours
09h00-18h00 tous les jours de juillet à août
Fermé le dimanche matin
1 July-20 September: Free of charge
21 September-30 June: By arrangement