Delights of Lake Geneva
Ouchy represents one of the favourite Sunday strolls for Lausanne citizens and passing visitors. Walkers, cyclists and skaters share the tree-lined, flower-bedecked walkways. From the Haldimand Tower to the Bellerive swimming pool, via the Château, the landing stage and the port of Ouchy, this promenade traverses three parks including the one that is home to the famous Olympic Museum.
Ouchy brings a flavour of the south to Lausanne with its quays, Lake Geneva and afternoon strolls among the crowds in summer.
If there is one place in Lausanne that is synonymous with relaxation and the sweetness of doing nothing, then it has to be Ouchy. People flock there in winter and summer alike at the slightest hint of sunshine.
- The idyllic setting for a Sunday outing: on foot, as a couple, by bike, by convertible, as a family, on skates – Ouchy quays see the entire population of Lausanne and countless tourists promenade along the quays as far as Haldimand Tower.
- The gardens: three sumptuous Lausanne gardens follow in succession along the quays: Denantou, Elysée, set back a bit, and the Olympic Park.
- The rose garden in Place du Général Guisan, which features more than 130 varieties of rose bush.
- The embarkation points of the CGN situated at the end of Dapples gardens: with magnificent floral arrangements and several sculptures awaiting discovery, including the bust of a native of the area, Federal Councillor Jean-Pascal Delamuraz.
Not to be missed
- For National Day on 1 August, there are fireworks displays off Ouchy and the celebrations are held in the Place de la Navigation.
- It is also a venue for sporting challenges:
- Many regattas are held off Ouchy, including the Bol d'Or.
- The Satellite Beach Volleyball tournament is held every year in the Place de la Navigation.
- The 20 km and marathon de Lausanne have their finishing line in Ouchy.
- A market is held every Sunday during high season in the Place de la Navigation.
A little fishing port set around a chateau, Ouchy and the whole of the Lake Geneva region became a prominent holiday spot in the 19th century.
- In 1857, quays and a promenade were laid out alongside each side of the chateau and the Beau-Rivage Hotel was built in 1861. In 1877 a train, the forerunner of the metro, linked Lausanne to Ouchy. In 1881, an English garden was created, extending towards the lake. In 1901, the quays linking Ouchy to Pully were inaugurated. The marinas and CGN landing stages were created for the National Exhibition of 1964. The Place de la Navigation as we know it today was inaugurated in 1993.