National Day 2016
The first of August is Switzerland’s Fête Nationale, or National Day. It is a public holiday throughout the country and a cause for widespread celebrations.
The extremely popular festival finishes off with a magnificent fireworks display in the evening.
Don’t forget the big fireworks display on Lake Geneva that will illuminate the Lausanne sky on the evening of the first. Everyone will be gathering in Ouchy to share in this magical moment.
You can also get a front row seat for the fireworks on Lake Geneva by taking a cruise with the Compagnie générale de navigation.
The August 1 picnic
The famous picnic on Switzerland’s National Day is held on Montbenon esplanade in one of the loveliest parks in Lausanne. It includes a local market with the best artisans in the region and products of premium quality, enabling you to put together a picnic and enjoy it barefoot on the grass, facing Lake Geneva.
There’ll be a vast array of artisanal products to taste…
The official ceremony
The official ceremony will be held on Place du Général-Guisan in Ouchy on Monday 1 August
- 19.45 Serenade by the fanfare Union Musicale de la Sécurité Lausanne
- 20.00 Formal launch of the event with speech by Mr Grégoire Junod of the city council
- 20.30 The official parade forms up, followed by Dame Helvétia and Ouchy organisations, families, children and their Chinese lanterns
- 20.45 Reception on arrival
- 22.15 Fireworks over the lake