Situated in the middle of a magnificent park in Pully, this centre is a place of culture, meeting and study as well as a memorial. Under the name of Verte Rive (Green Bank), the property was the residence, until his death in 1960, of General Guisan, commander-in-chief of the Swiss army during the Second World War from 1939-45. Owned by the Swiss Confederation since 1971, this centre is now managed by the Association Verte Rive under the auspices of the Fondation du Général Henri Guisan.
It was built between 1867 and 1874 by Christ-Charles Doelker, a grain trader and the father of Mary, the General’s future wife. Henri Guisan, a young officer at the time, took up residence here with his family in 1902. Open to the public, the ground floor of the house comprises the General’s office with his library, the living room and the dining room, all preserved intact.