The striking Fontaine de la Justice animates the upper part of Place de la Palud. It is a typical example of the Renaissance-style fountains one can admire in other Swiss cities. The basin of this fountain dates from 1557, and the original statue of Justice, now replaced by a copy, was made in 1585. Like the City Hall, this feature of Lausanne marked the growing importance of the city.
The column and the statue were sculpted in 1584-85 by Laurent Perroud from Neuchâtel and his son Jacques, the former having passed away before its completion. Laurent Perroud built a number of fountains throughout western Switzerland. In particular he depicted Justice in Neuchâtel, Soleure and Moudon. The fountain in Lausanne features the typical blindfolded young woman bearing a sword and scales. The Pope, the Emperor, the Grand Turk and a magistrate are bowing in submission at her feet.
The ornamental central stack features a circular base with sculpted archways surmounted by a ribbed column decorated with acanthus leaves, coats of arms of the city and a garland held up by four muffles. A capital decorated with acanthus leaves and volutes tops the column off.
The stack and the column are copies, created in 1930; the originals are held in the Lausanne History Museum. The splendid spouts date back to 1557-59 and the dodecagonal basin was built in 1726.
Fountain, place de la Palud
Place de la Palud